Is CrossFit right for me?
Absolutely! Anyone willing to work will excel at CrossFit. Here you simply move your body the way it was designed. You won’t lift weights beyond your level or perform movements beyond your skill set. We pride ourselves on working with athletes of all different types and ability levels and making them better. At CrossFit Gotham, you will succeed!
What is a typical Class?
We perform functional movements at high intensity, giving you a comprehensive full-body workout in under an hour. Classes are instructor-led and peer-driven, providing an excellent mixture of individual coaching and group motivation. We combine elements of boot camp workouts, gymnastics, barbell training, Olympic weightlifting, rowing, and running. Workouts are constantly varied and unique, ensuring that you always make progress.
Each class follows the same general structure. We begin with a full-body warm-up, then we work on the physical skill or barbell lift designated for that day. Following that is a high-intensity workout done for time or for reps. We have a huge number of exercises to choose from and infinite possibilities for workouts, so it never becomes boring!
How does CrossFit get me results?
CrossFit works because we seek a broad and inclusive fitness — we refuse to specialize!
There are 10 General Physical Skills we promote at CrossFit. They are:
1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance – The ability to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
2. Stamina/muscular endurance – The ability to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
3. Strength – The ability to apply productive force.
4. Flexibility – The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.
5. Power – The ability to apply maximum force in minimum time.
6. Speed – The ability to minimize the cycle time of a repeated movement.
7. Coordination – The ability to combine several movement patterns into a single distinct movement.
8. Agility – The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
9. Balance – The ability to control the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
10. Accuracy – The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
Because of the focus on each of these skills in concert, our athletes achieve outstanding improvements in body composition, work capacity, health markers (blood pressure, cholesterol/triglycerides, etc.), and physical performance in sport and in daily life.